Joseph W. Humphries Elementary School's existence covers many important periods in history. The School was named after the honorable Joseph W. Humphries, an eminent member of the Fulton County Board of Education. The school opened in 1916. It opened as a Fulton County School with only four rooms. Eventually, Humphries was coverted to an Atlanta Public School in 1951. Structural additions were made in 1932, 1950, 1967, 1994, 1997-98 and 2001.
Currently, we are serving more than 365 students. This is inclusive of Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades.
Humphries Elementary School is located in Southeast Atlanta and borders on the Clayton County line. The population is comprised of 365students in grades Pre-K - 5 with a racial composition of 85% African American and 15% Hispanic. Many of our students reside in single-parent homes. Approximately 96% of the students qualify for free and reduced meals.