Forged out of a perseverance towards excellence South Atlanta Educational Complex was Originally the merger of Walter F. George High School and Fulton High School. In 2006, the building was renovated, and the campus became home to four small schools. The schools are:
School of Computer Animation & Design
School of Law & Social Justice
School of Health & Medical Sciences
South Atlanta was established in 1994 after the merger of Walter F. George High School and Fulton High School. George High School hosted a vocational program which offered classes such as woodworking, brickwork, auto mechanics, home economics, and welding. It was also the only high school in Atlanta Public Schools (APS) to have an airplane hangar. Fulton High School was also unique in its own right. It was the only high school in the school system to have four different campuses during its tenure. First, it was located at the corner of Whitehall and Garnett St., second, it moved down Whitehall to the corner of Trinity Street, third, it was located on Washington ST. But in 1952 when the City of Atlanta implemented its Plan of Improvement and annexed the area south of McDonough Boulevard, including Lakewood Heights, a new building was built, and Fulton moved to its last site on Jonesboro Road.(It's possible that Fulton County actually built the building in 1950 or 51). That building was torn down & Dobbs elementary school replaced it in 2004. Although Fulton High dates back to 1917, it was not an Atlanta public school until 1952. Prior to that, Fulton, along with North Fulton and West Fulton were in the Fulton County school system until Atlanta annexed the respective areas into the City under its Plan of Improvement.
South Atlanta Educational Complex strives towards a comprehensive learning environment that embraces diversity and exploration. The Magnet School of Computer Animation and Design focus is to develop and articulate the creative, scholarly and entrepreneurial principles and practices of excellence, and educational pursuits, and in doing so inspire and prepare the women and men who will become leaders in society.